Sunday, June 24, 2012

(VIDEO) PATCHING OLD STUFF


Fixing things that don't work anymore seems to be a major thing in life these days

John Cullum bravely takes apart what's no longer functioning, cleans, oils, figures out what makes it work, and installs new washers and screws. He even fixes wires or chains that are out of whack.

"Even if it takes hours, it's better than buying new fixtures," says Em, who complains about instruction books that take hours to comprehend.

Em, delights in "John the shoemaker" who more than once has repaired her favorite shoes, and expertly patches her worn ballet slippers.

The Cullums sigh. Fixing things -- no matter how much you do, there's always something else that's wearing out. Em says, "What's wearing out is you and me, John."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful video today Em! I enjoy hearing how John patches everything including your shoes. You both make a great team and are creative and resourceful. I will write in your comments and tell my "patching" story. As far as us getting older and patching each other up...you and John are lucky to have each other and the love between you! kam

Linda Phillips said...

Dear Patchers:

One: I love you both.

Two: Could you please come out to California? I have a long, long list of stuff for JC to patch.

Three: That was adorable. You are both adorable!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely couple! That one truly warmed my heart.

Ironically I had just finished super gluing a leather patch from some shoes I had actually thrown away over a hole in the sole of my favorite pair of loafers when I watched the clip.

I've found that I'm actually better at fixing things in my later years―more patience to sit and think about how it works and what it needs I guess. Not real good at getting down on my knees anymore though. One of my favorite pastimes is repairing books that are falling apart.

John, after heating the vinyl flooring with a hair dryer, you can make a tiny slit to let the air out and massage the bubble out sometimes. Might not work with the gorilla glue in there though.

(For me, any plumbing repair requires at least five trips to the hardware store.)