Wednesday, September 11, 2013

SITTING ALL DAY


Are you sitting at your computer with a phone, tablet, or notepad?

Or are you seated on a couch with a printed something-or-other as the TV is blaring news, gossip and ads?
 
Are you seated  at the kitchen table, dining table with something to eat?

Even if you're out in the world, visiting, conferencing, waiting for doc, lawyer, accountant,  or friend -- you're relaxed, kinda taking it easy with furniture supporting you.

Probably your back is rounded, and your head is thrust forward  -- yes, you're an S.

In fact, everyday, most of the day you are an S, not an up and down vertical body.

If you don't fight it, you'll lose. 

Be tall every time you get up to get anything, every time you head for the bathroom, or go into another room  -- chin high, fold your hands behind your back as if you're pacing, but smile -- be jolly, perky, peppy  like um ... a ... lollypop.






3 comments:

Carola said...

What's worked for me is imagining that I'm trying to hold a dime between my shoulder blades: shoulders down and back.

Anonymous said...

Cute and important blog today. Yes, I probably lean forward while sitting at the computer all day, but this is because my breasts are soooo big -they sag- causing my posture to do so also. Lol! I am short so it is hard to stand tall. Thanks for posting this info. kam

Cara Lopez Lee said...

And I've had the disc surgery to prove it. Part of my left foot is always numb thanks to the herniated disc that pushed on my spine. I didn't know that might be a job hazard of being a writer, even though I'm otherwise very active - dancing, hiking, skiing, biking, etc. Now I really work to vary body position, get up a lot, lie on my back with my feet up (cheap traction), and keep up my physical therapy. I've also added Pilates and Tai Chi to my schedule. Writing is MY life, but movement IS life.