Thursday, November 18, 2010

'THE VIEW"

It's a daily talk show, part of ABC's "Daytime."

Whoopi Goldberg moderates the discussions. The panel consists of Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd and, part-time, Barbara Walters, one of the show's executive producers.

I like "The View." I love Whoopee -- the woman, the actress, the author -- if you want to know specifically why I like her, click 'Whoopee For Whoopee Goldberg."

I pay attention to the queenly, authoritative Barbara Walters, and find myself nodding when she expresses her opinion. I don't love Elizabeth Hasselbeck -- her need to be famous shows too much but she's sharp and aware of what's going on in the world. Joy Behar is fun, down-to-earth, and always worth listening to. I think Sherri Shepherd is extra scenery the show doesn't need but she doesn't intrude or distract.

The combination of the "girls" works. I feel as if I'm part of the conversation -- not focused on them but involved with what they're discussing.

Alas, every day on television, there are promos, quick previews of one of the "Real Housewives" shows. There's a rash of them.

The "Real Housewives" of Orange Country, New Jersey, Beverly Hills, D.C., New York, and Atlanta, and a show called "Talk" are loaded with advertisements of things that women buy. But I find the problems that concern the "Housewives" cast members ... well ... the drama of the day is like a revved up, soapy, soap opera, but less suspenseful -- Sturm and Drang that more or less fizzles on a daily basis.

What bothers me more than anything, is the cast -- the women themselves. I think these shows are promoting a"babe" image that's old-fashioned. (If it's new-fashioned -- igg! Yuck!!)

Nowadays, more often than not, in music, DVD's, ads, movies, and definitely, in all the various Housewives shows that I've seen, the female is ultra carefully dressed, makeup and hair done ultra perfectly -- spouting platitudes, enormously overly-concerned with household, kids, pets, and spouses -- ho hum -- enticing, delighting, warring, divorcing, seducing men AND ... (oi-vey), competing with each other.

Watch "The View." It's entertaining. It's culture, fashion, male/female issues, news -- everything that's current.

No comments: