Saturday, August 13, 2011

TRAUMA DRAMA (video)

John Cullum was the King in the musical, "The King and I," at Jones Beach, while I was making a comeback, out of town in South Africa and South America.

I was performing Mahler's Fifth Symphony, a 70 minute solo, "breaking it in" the way that Broadway shows are worked on out of town before opening in New York. And testing myself -- dancing full out, after major surgeries, and hours and hours of physical therapy that I needed after my back was broken in an automobile accident.

Though the tour was under U.S. State Department auspices, it was a low budget tour. I traveled alone, dealing with passport, visa, and stage management problems as they occurred.

The problems were nightmarish.

Without John Cullum's participation, it's amazing that I ever got back to the U.S.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily and John-delightful video! The hazards of performing outside the country you described very well. But, where and why did you get arrested? I missed that part. Who got you out of jail Emily? Lucky you got back home Ok and....with your luggage I hope! Thanks for sharing! kam

Linda Phillips said...

All I can say is that you are ONE GUTSY LADY! WOW!!!!!

carola said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to travel. Travel is stressful, and you've seen the worst of it.

Anonymous said...

My husband worked for PanAm and my young daughter and I would travel in the summer. We were in many precarious situations in foreign countries. I always said the Lord looks after fools traveling with little children. Your situation was really frustrating but got through it with a good story to tell. Rosemary W.