Saturday, May 1, 2010

DR. DEATH, AND AL PACINO

Actor extraordinaire, Al Pacino's latest movie "You Don't Know Jack," in which he portrays Dr. Jack Kevorkian, is on HBO.

Its a movie I look forward to seeing. Whatever roles Pacino chooses to do, he imbues with life, a feeling of a very real person, not "Pacino the famous factor." He was amazing, powerful, unforgettable in "And Justice for all." and I loved him in "Dog Day Afternoon."

(I'm married to my favorite actor, John Cullum, but he doesn't object to my loving Al Pacino.)

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, (in case you don't know the name) is a famous man people called Dr. Death. He was convicted of 2nd degree murder, in prison for 8 years (of a 10 -15 year sentence). He'd helped people commit suicide -- 130 patients who proved with documents from their doctors, families, and friends, that they wanted to die because there was no future for them except continued pain.

A film Kevorkian last made of an actual suicide, the "machine" (bottles and timers that allowed the patient to control the sequence of injections that would stop his heart), was televised and seen by many people -- some wanting to watch someone die, some wondering if they could contact the doctor, others determined to put an end to Kevorkian's criminal, medical practice, and some, perhaps, who wanted to see what's forbidden, against the law, deemed wrong by their religion.

And then there were people who feel as I feel.

Here's what Kevorkian said last week, about the HBO film. I like this Doctor's unabashed, blunt, unpretentious manner. I hope, when my time to die comes, I can have a choice.

I want the right to evaluate all the factors -- pain, suffering -- and who is involved, what's involved in keeping me alive a little longer. I want to make the decision, get the help I will need if I decide it's time to end my life.

No comments: