Sunday, October 3, 2010

REHEARSALS (Video)

John Cullum is getting ready to rejoin the cast of "Scottsboro Boys," the John Kander and Fred Ebb musical which was developed, and performed at the Vineyard Theater, last spring. The show is re-opening on Broadway at the Lyceum Theater, starting previews October 7th.

Emily Frankel enjoys John's pre-rehearsal process, and gets John to explain what he has to do in order to remember lines and choreography. John, of course, wants to keep his role "fresh," not just repeat what he did before, but recreate his part as the Interlocutor of the minstrel show, which is the theme, the concept of this musical.

One of his songs, though cut for a good reason (the producers and Kander felt it distracted from the end of the drama), is a favorite of Emily's. She asks John Cullum to sing a bit of it.

It's a special treat in this video on how Broadway Star Cullum prepares to open again on Broadway.


4 comments:

Carola said...

I wish I could see this show.

Kevin Daly said...

I'm so excited for this! I've had the cast album for a few weeks and I've been enjoying it immensely. "Go Back Home" is one of the loveliest ballads I've heard in some time. Sad they cut "It's Gonna Take Time" but at least it's on the record. Can't wait to see the show!!

steven cates said...

Emily, I am so excited to see John back in the cast. Loved your video - the show has the potential to be a theatrical classic! I am going to bookmark your YouTube show, and cannot wait to see you next week, hopefully with more news of the SCOTTSBORO BOYS.

Linda Phillips said...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!!!!!!
Delicious! Loved it!