Tuesday, September 22, 2009

CHANGE YOUR LIFE HAIRDOS

I went to a beauty salon a few times, in my "actress" career phase, and hated the amount of time it took -- couldn't stop my mind from questioning why bother?

I observed and absorbed what the professionals did -- most of their routines were mumbo jumbo (like disappearing into a private area to prepare hair coloring -- it's just measuring and mixing the recipe, isn't it?)

And tipping -- was it 10% of the price, 15 % -- or more if the main guy and his assistants chatted with you? Nobody was willing to tell me straight-out -- how much?

I didn't want my toes "done," no undercoat, triple-coat of nail polish, no color except "natural," no skin treatments, or my hair feather-cut, or a different color.

Nevertheless, after each salon session, I came away with why don't I? should I? beautification thoughts flying around in my head, with no place to land.

A dancer friend of mine (not someone I'd paid to make me prettier), thought I'd look better, younger ("more in tune with the times" she said) with short hair.

I went to a wig store and tried on a few ... no, no No N O -- they made me look like someone else, not me! Am I stubborn, set in my ways? (Probably!)

But take a look at these famous women:
Mariska Hargitay, her memorable beautiful face -- the hair stylists made her look ordinary.
And Holly Hunter-- blond makes her "hot?" (To my eye, it makes her look older, and scrawnier.)


And the brilliantly versatile, amazing, Sandra Bullock-- I didn't recognize her! I kept thinking is that blond really her?


The know-it-all. image-making hair stylists re-invented Penelope Cruz -- turned her into a fluffy powder puff.
And nowadays, the talented, chameleon Hillary Swank, LOOKS mannish, awful.

And Julia Roberts?
In recent years "Pretty Woman" hasn't really looked like herself, so when she changed her hair, I barely glance at her -- she looks like everyone else.

Don't these stars trust themselves and the images THEY created? My goodness, they worked-worked-worked to get to the point where they're names and are instantly recognizable!

I guess this is advice to the female stars: DO NOT LET THE IMAGE MAKERS CHANGE THE THINGS THAT MADE YOU A MEMORABLE PERSON WE'RE HAPPY TO SEE AGAIN AND AGAIN.

1 comment:

Carola said...

I can't imagine you changing your hair. I had to cut off my long hair because it sort of "died" when it was long - just got too fine and wimpy to do anything with. I remember when you got me the best haircut I ever had, in 1967, by some very chi-chi guy. Nobody (including the chi-chi guy) could ever repeat that hair cut. At this point, I just try to keep my hair looking presentable, and EARRINGS are my personality statement.