Saturday, September 25, 2010

MAKING IT

A gorgeous looking thirteen-year-old girl has been writing to me. She has all the physical gifts, and the energy -- all the do it, get it, grab it thoughts.

"Be brave," is all I can write back to her.

Actresses and actors with credits, talent, and ideas write me, and often reveal their fears about their age and the ever increasing competition -- that younger versions of themselves are everywhere. They have made it, but having made it does not bring much relief. They can't say, "I don't have to worry about making it anymore."

"Stay confident," that's all I suggest to them when I reply, though part of me wants to add, "keep your fingers crossed."

Whenever writers of plays, novels, short stories, musicals operas, or poems talk to me, whether they sound confident, or not, I know behind what they're saying to me is their deep concern with earning a living, getting an audience, getting respect or some semblance of respect from their families, and the critics.

"Yes," I echo when I write them, "I know what you mean!"

How do I advise someone who'd hasn't asked for advice, but reveals that he or she needs it?

I have said it before, and I'll say it again -- if you commit yourself to being an "Artist" -- take on a job, a vision, and call yourself an ARTIST -- going on with the project, whatever it is, continuing, not getting discouraged is the work of your work. Click and read " Ladder" -- climbing a ladder without rungs.

No comments: