Saturday, October 16, 2010

BODY SNATCHERS


"Invasion of the Body Snatchers," a scary movie in 1956, starring Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter, and Carolyn Jones, was about a small-town doctor learning that the population of his community was being replaced by emotionless alien duplicates.

Giant pea pods were put near a person while the person was sleeping. When the person awoke, a clone had replaced him -- a clone focused on transforming everyone in the town into an alien. Aliens were working together to take over the world

I think Google and Apple are body snatchers.

APPLE is selling us iPods -- also a new version of iTunes with a social-networking feature and an updated operating system that powers Apple's mobile devices — the iPhone, the iPad, the tiny Shuffle iPod, and iPod Touch, with front and back cameras and the ability to record HD video, and use Apple’s new Face Time video chat software. Also, a teeny tiny iPod Nano, 1.5 inches with a touch screen, and more, and more, and more new handhelds are coming.

GOOGLE has the "Android." It does everything that an Apple does. Google is now selling 200,000 a day, more than Apple, probably because Samsung, HTC, (High Tech Corporation) and Motorola use the Android platform that Google leases to them.

Yep, we're being body snatched. Handhelds are utterly, totally convenient. We're seduced by fabulous ads, and the fact that just about everyone's using a handheld something or other. Practically everyone we see on the street, in the subway, train, or bus, in the stores, in restaurants has his head down, focused on a handheld "thing."

Whatever you bought -- it's like a limb, a part of you. You take photos, find things you need or crave, play games, and wowy -- you have information about anything, everything in the world at your fingertips!

Yes, we are body snatched.

The fact is, even the 1956 movie has been body snatched. An almost identical new version came out in 1978, with Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams and Jeff Goldblum, discovering in San Francisco, that the human race was being replaced one by one with clones devoid of emotion.

What are we going to do? Throw out our handhelds? NO WAY!

We'll trade them in, buy the latest update as soon as possible, and give the old one to some needy kid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Morning Em....No my body has not been snatched by Apple nor Google. I have never owned an iPod, I prefer to listen to music on LPs (yeah, I'm old...but LPs are making a resurgence) and CDs when I am on the road. I don't like having those plugs in my ears to listen....they look like alien antenna. I have not need for a phone that does everything but feed me and burp me. I can use a map, I can take a picture with my 35mm or dig. camera, and I don't need an obnoxious ring tone to let everyone know my "body has been snatched"! Great topic....thanks! RJ

Linda Phillips said...

Way back in 1982, after my father had passed away,I went into a deep depression which fortunately, I have never experienced since.

I was so angry that I lost my job and was home and very isolated, by my own choosing. I had bought both a Sony Walkman cassette player and what would now be a very crude,computerized Backgammon game.

I remember thinking, "What am I doing?" I am living in a totally isolated world and my companions are little electronic devises.

I never lived that way again, once I snapped out of it. So, its up to us as individuals to not be "body snatched"!